Fleas are dangerous insects that can cause some individuals to have extreme allergic reactions to their bite marks. The most affected people are those who have sensitive skin. If you do, doctors recommend that you have to use anti-histamines the moment you realize that you have flea bites.
A simple description of anti-histamines is: These are products that are used to relieve the negative effects caused by the production of histamine in our bodies. With that, people who have intense allergic reactions produce a lot of histamine in their bodies.
Therefore, some of the most common allergic reactions to fleas in humans include:
- Itchy skin: When you have an allergic reaction to a flea bite, to the extreme it can lead to flea allergy dermatitis.
- Hives: When fleas bite you skin, they normally leave red and swollen bite marks. In extreme cases, individuals who get the flea allergy could get multiple hives on the affected skin portion. It is advisable that once you realize that you have flea bites, do not scratch the affected portion else it may lead to the formation of hives.
- Rash: A flea allergy can cause you to have a skin rash. The rash is normally on the affected skin portion and it may spread with frequent scratching. When you realize that the scratching is disturbing you, it is advisable to apply an anti-itch cream on the bite marks. This will help soothe the itchy feeling.
When it comes to animals/pets, the flea allergy is always noticeable.
How will you know that your pet has fleas?
- Scratching and whining of the dog.
- Extremely red skin and when you touch their skin, you will feel some bumps.
Thinning of hair due to constant scratching by the dog.