How To Stop Fleas From Spreading In Your Home

A flea infestation in the home is disturbing for a number of different reasons; these blood-sucking parasites will attack both humans and family pets, leaving behind painful, itchy bumps that can take days to heal. To make matters worse, fleas are known to carry a wide variety of infectious diseases and illnesses, including worms and even the Bubonic Plague. So, how you can stop fleas from spreading in your home?

Clean The Floors

Arguably, one of the most important steps in controlling fleas in the home is to clean the floors on a regular basis. Most homes with severe infestations have carpet flooring, which allows fleas to burrow inside for safety. So even if you don’t see them, fleas may still be burrowed deep in the carpet fibers waiting for a warm-blooded meal to pass.

If you’re struggling with a flea infestation in your home, you should get into the habit of cleaning your floors at least once every other day. Pull out all of the major furniture from the room and go over the floors with a high-suction vacuum. The key thing to remember is that you want to make slow, even passes with the vacuum cleaner, allowing ample time for it to suck up any fleas. When you are finished, take the vacuum cleaner outside to transfer its contents into a trash bag.

Don’t Focus Solely on What You Can See

Did you know that only 5% of a typical flea infestation is comprised of adult fleas? This means the remaining 95% are larvae, pupae and eggs. Going around and picking up each individual flea won’t solve your problem. Even if you happen to find every adult flea in your home (which you won’t), there will likely be hundreds if not thousands remaining in the form of larvae, pupae and eggs.

Tips To Prevent Fleas From Spreading In The Home:

  • If you own a dog or cat (or both), invest in a premium flea treatment medication, such as FrontLine Plus, Advantage or Advantix.
  • Bathe your pets at least once a week to remove any fleas.
  • Use a special flea comb on your pets to further discourage fleas.
  • Turn the thermostat down in your home to at least 68 degrees Fahrenheit.
  • Sprinkle a solution of half table salt and half baking soda throughout areas of high flea activity.