Can You Have a Flea Infestation In Your Home Without Pets?

It’s no secret that fleas typically enter the home by catching a ride on a pet, such as a dog or cat. When family pets are outside, they tend to pick up these tiny blood-sucking parasites, at which point they are brought into the home where they reproduce and their numbers grow. But can fleas enter your home if you don’t own a pet?

The short answer is yes, fleas may still enter your home even if you don’t have any pets. Flea infestation are not as common in homes without fleas, but they still occur nonetheless. Don’t assume that you are safe from these parasites just because you don’t own a cat or dog. While pets offer a source of food and means of transportation for fleas, these troublesome parasites have evolved into resilient pests that can make their way into homes without the assistance of a pet.

Fleas May Already Be Inside Your Home…

One possibility is that fleas have already been inside your home — just in a dormant egg state. Experts believe that only 5% of the population are adult. The remaining 95% consist of larvae, pupae and eggs. Flea eggs can remain in a dormant state for months, waiting until the conditions are just right to hatch and complete their life cycle.

If you suddenly notice a flea infestation in your home, the fleas may have been there the entire time. If you recently moved into a new apartment or home, and the previous tenants were dog owners, there’s a strong possibility that fleas and flea eggs may be lingering in the carpet. The eggs may not hatch, however, until the conditions are ideal, making the infestation even more difficult to treat.

Mice, Rats and Other Rodents Can Bring Fleas Into Your Home

Of course, mice, rats and other rodents may also bring fleas into your home. If rodents are entering your attic through a small hole or crack, they may bring fleas with them. Once inside, the fleas will fall off the rodents and begin to spread throughout your home. Mice can fit through a hole the size of a dime, so make sure all possible points of entry are blocked off to keep these disease and flea-carrying pests out of your home.

Have you experienced a flea infestation in your home? Share your story in the comments section below!